Get ready…Get set…Get ready some more…because it’s almost Get Ready Day at APHA!
This year we will be celebrating APHA’s Get Ready Day on Sept. 17! September is National Preparedness Month, which means it’s the perfect time to raise awareness of preparedness and make sure you’re ready for anything from hurricanes and tornadoes to mosquitoes and measles!
Whether you’re just getting started with preparedness or you’re a preparedness pro, you’ve been preparing all your life, here are a few basic tips and refreshers on how to be prepared for any emergency:
- Create an emergency preparedness go-bag: When you need to evacuate, it’s important to have a pre-packed bag ready for you!
- Secure an emergency preparedness stockpile: During some emergencies it’s best to stay home to keep safe! Use this checklist to make sure your stockpile is up-to-date.
- Avoid dangerous diseases with vaccines and regular hand-washing.
- Learn how to prepare for when you do get sick.
- Review the evacuation and emergency plans on your campus, at work, at home or anywhere else. If evacuation and emergency plans have not been created, start a conversation about it on Get Ready Day!
Preparing for emergencies is low-risk and high-reward! It can be quick, easy and cost-effective to do. And it could make a huge difference when a disaster strikes. Join us this year on Get Ready Day to start taking these easy steps to keep you, your family and your community safe and healthy in the face of disasters and other hazards.
We encourage you to help us promote preparedness and share information by posting any of our free fact sheets on your social media accounts using the #GetReadyDay hashtag, printing them for the office or campus bulletin boards or by hanging them around your community!
Get Ready fact sheets are available in English and Spanish. You can even add your organization’s logo!
We hope you’ll join our celebration on Sept. 17! Happy Get Ready Day!